Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

The Importance of Being Busy

Greetings after a long Bank Holiday weekend! It's Tuesday and I'm not feeling well so I'm taking this opportunity to tell you about my weekend. It's been a busy few days beginning with Friday evening when I went to the cinema to see the new Michael Winterbottom film 'The Killer Inside Me'. I realised afterwards that the last fiction film of his that I saw was 'Genova' which I loved! It was a bit of a teary one for me (I'm pretty sure I sobbed all the way through it). Check it out if you get a chance, some great performances from Colin Firth who plays a widower and his youngest daughter who is missing her mother. She's one of the few child actresses who I can say was entirely believable in her role. An amazing performance from someone so young.

Anyway, The Killer Inside Me is a completely different film. I went in not knowing a whole lot about it apart from what I could deduce from the title. I like that though, modern trailers tend to ruin every plot point of a film and I find myself waiting for "that bit from the trailer" the entire time which is very distracting. As I said I had no idea what to expect, although I was expecting a great performance from Casey Affleck who is fast becoming one of my favourite actors to watch. I loved him in Lonesome Jim, Gone Baby Gone and The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford.



Photo Credit: Here





Without going into too much detail, 5 people walked out of the theatre within the first 15 minutes. It was very difficult to watch in parts (well most of it actually) because of extreme violence but that is all I will say apart from, if you can sit through it, the pay off is worth it in my my opinion. I was not disappointed with Casey Affleck just as I had hoped I wouldn't be. He really does embody the character of Lou Ford. It's hard to believe that someone can act that creepy! Another couple of actors of note were Elias Koteas, who is so underrated and the wonderful Bill Pullman (not Paxton) who was only on screen for a little while but was just great!

On Saturday after my weekly lie in, the BF and I ventured down to the quays to grab lunch at my favourite café Seven Wonders in the IFSC. They make the most delicious bagels and smoothies with really fresh ingredients. What we did not realise was that the Maritime Festival was taking place over the Bank Holiday weekend. So after lunch we browsed the stalls and managed to board one of the ships that is docked at the quays, the Jeanie Johnston, which is a replica of the original Irish famine ship that was built in Québec in 1847.




The Hawaiian Chicken




The Mambo Mango Smoothie


























We happened to catch the Liffey Swim when we disembarked the ship. It was great to see it as I never have before. It's always been a regret of mine that I can't swim, maybe some day I'll learn. I have a fear of drowning though since I was 9 years old in a pool on holidays and a girl pushed my head under the water and I couldn't get her off me and my sister had to rescue me! How dramatic! I've had dreams about falling into the harbour in my home town and drowning so I guess that doesn't really help! I don't think I would like to swim in the Liffey though, after seeing some of the things floating around in it.








The First Liffey Swim in 1920

Photo Credit: Here





The Liffey Swim (1923) by Jack B. Yeats

Photo Credit: Here






We got some Candy Floss and Honeycomb just before it started to rain and we decided to go home. My sister and her BF came over for a roast dinner (that my BF so lovingly cooked) on Saturday evening. My sister bought me some strawberry liquorice from IKEA and their yummy Daim cake and we watched the last few episodes of Bones season 5.






Sunday was a rainy/cloudy day unfortunately. After visiting my granny, my parents dropped me off at my friend's house where he was preparing to play a gig in the Mercantile that evening. We ordered food and had some drinks when a few of our other friends arrived. We went in to the gig and met my BF's school friend and his GF who were staying with us that evening. I got to stay out a bit later than I usually would on a Sunday because I wasn't in work until late Monday morning due to the Bank Holiday opening hours so that was great.






I also found out on Saturday that my Dad had gotten 4 free tickets to see Oscar Wilde's 'The Importance of Being Earnest' in the Gaiety on Monday evening so I went with my parents and my sister. I hadn't been to see a play in a couple of years so I was so happy we got these tickets and for free! Also Stockard Channing from The West Wing and Grease was playing one of the main characters in it so it was wonderful to see her on stage. I'm ashamed to admit I had no idea what it was about but I suppose it made it more of a surprise. It was very funny with some really good performances, I must make more of an effort to go to the theatre because I always really enjoy it when I go.





Stockard Channing as Lady Bracknell

Photo Credit: Here


So that's it from me today, I'll have to try to sort out what I'm going to post about on what days and structure the blog more. I hope you all had a lovely weekend!

Emmie xxx




Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar